Sunday, October 11, 2009

First Journal Quilt - "Quilt the Wind"

I recently joined a group called "The After Supper Journal Page" group and the idea is that you make an 8 1/2" by 11" quilt based on a given topic. The rule is that you have to complete it in 2 hours or less and that includes "thinking time."

"Coastal Pine"


The topic this time is wind. We were challenged to "quilt the wind." So I chose one of those
twisted pines that grows in the rocky soil near the California coast. I used hand-dyed fabric that I pieced together for the background.

I used an ugly (ok, challenged) piece for the dirt that I covered with a piece of hand-dyed cheesecloth fused with black Mistyfuse.

The tree trunk and branches were painted on with puff paint that I mixed with Polished Pigments for color. I fused on bits of commercial batiks for the greenery after I quilted the wind in the sky background.

This was a fun project. I'm pretty sure I stayed under the two hour limit, even though I spent a few minutes at a time on it for several days.

No comments: