Wednesday, June 30, 2010

June Ends and the Robins Leave the Nest


The first two hatched.


Then there were four -- this was about a week after they hatched.  They've grown feathers.


Even the father (who apparently went on vacation during the whole nest building and sitting period) helps feed the hungry horde.  Those two parents had a constant relay bringing wormy tidbits to the babies.


They didn't like me and my camera much.


Things got pretty crowded in there.


Before dinner one night, I found this one drunkenly hopping around on the porch.  He/she kept flopping over.


After dinner (mine) they were all back in the nest, so I went back inside to help clean up.


When I came back out, they were gone. Sniff, they grow up so fast.

3 comments:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

It blows me away how quickly baby robin grow. They are so cute at that stage where they have feathers and are all fat and fluffy, but not ready to fly!
Then the stage as the one on the porch, looking MOST UNHAPPY they are in the *real world*.....

XXOO!!
Anne

Karen S said...

They were really cute for about a week. Before that, they were kinda scrawny and yucky.

And, yes, Anne, he did look unhappy. I don't know if it was me and my camera, or just normal teenage orneriness. Or maybe because he couldn't fly? But how did he get back in that nest?!

Karen M said...

Karen. those photographs are fantastic. How amazing to be so close to these guys!