12½" X 14"
Acrylic inks on cotton with cotton threads, wool batt
This is my journal quilt for March. I wanted the parrots to "spill over" the edge because the March Journal Quilt Challenge theme at the Art Quilt Blog for this month is "spilling over". The trouble is I liked the background so much I couldn't bring myself to cut off much more than I did.
I faced the edge with some really fine black Egyptian cotton because I knew that this fabric would make it easy to get a clean edge. I did trim a little too close to one edge and had to add some fray stop liquid and then wait for it to dry so I could restitch it.
I did a little quilting around the eyes and on the beaks, but I left the parrots mostly unquilted so they would remain puffy. I'm considering doing just a little more quilting to provide a bit more depth -- especially under the parrots' heads.
This was primarily an experiment with the acrylic inks. I wanted to see if I could paint fine detail and not have it bleed all over. The only part that bled was the background -- and that was because I mixed a lot of water with just a few drops of ink. So it was more of a wash. I'm really pleased about how dark the color is with the tiny amount of ink I used.