Monday, January 16, 2012

Design Wall Twofer


Long time readers might remember that I participate in a BOM every year at Mill House Quilts in Waunakee, Wisconsin (motto: it's the only Waunakee in the world).  This year, even though I am working full time and can't really go to the meetings, I'm doing blocks from the book pictured at the left below along with the rest of the group. 

 

I love the blocks in this book, but I don't really do taupe (motto: I do brights).  So I'm taking my cue from the book pictured above on the right.  I love the stark contrasts in the blocks.  But I'm doing mine in color.  So in the photo of my design wall at the top of this post, the three blocks on top are done in spa blues and browns (which I've been collecting for some time -- although I don't really know why) and the bottom blocks are done in color to satisfy my primal need for color.  After I made the top blocks, I couldn't figure out what to pair the colors with to give the blocks some consistency.  But while I was wandering through my stash, I looked at the pile of black and white fabrics (okay -- I'll fess up:  there were two piles) and thought: "Yes!  Black and white will set off the colors and make the blocks go together!"    And the blocks are pretty complex -- so after I figure out one, I may as well do another.


Yesterday, my design wall looked like this.  I'm working my way through Rayna Gillman's book (pictured at left) along with my fellow artists (and Rayna!) on the blog "...And Then We Set It On Fire."  I hope to start cutting up the strip sets and adding color soon.  While I admire those who can work in neutral tones and I think that the Japanese taupe quilts are outstanding in their beauty, I just don't fly that way.  And it's all about having fun, isn't it?

To see other design walls, click here to go to Judy's blog.

3 comments:

Lynne said...

You've got quite a bit going on, haven't you?

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

I've been away for a few days.... wow you'be been busy.... is the family eating? The BOM will be an interesting change for you... very geometric.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I love those really graphic blocks. I may just have to find that book!

glen