Monday, January 30, 2012

Some Blocks, A New Product, and a Finish

First the finish:
"Sit Down -- I Think I Love You"
30" by 36"

I made this as part of the stuff we're doing over at "...And Then We Set it on Fire."  I "accidentally" made a block that looked kind of like a chair.  Then I remembered the chair fabrics in my stash, and I went from there. And yes, I did steal the title from that old song.  Thank you, Stephen Stills.

I wanted to get this finished, photographed, and posted today, so I started out pinning back the binding.  Then I ran out of pins.  Hmmm... I remembered that I purchased some fusible thread at a quilt show a while back.  I didn't know what I was going to do with it, but it seemed like a fun thing to have.  My friend Trish mentioned (quite a while ago, if I remember correctly) that one could use it to hold binding in place for hand stitching.  Hmmmm...!   I couldn't get it to go through the needle, so I wound some on a bobbin and did a zigzag around the edge close to the binding stitching.  Hit it with a steam iron and...  voila!   It still needs some stitching, but I can leave it alone for now.  This just might be a fabulous product for art quilt bindings that don't get a lot of wear and tear.  Thanks, Trish!

And last, but not least, my design wall today sports the rest of the unfinished blocks for my "...And Then We Set it on Fire"  experiments.

Those are the BOM 2012 blocks at the top -- I'm not going to be able to go to the meeting, so I'll buzz up to the quilt shop and get the February "assignment" later this week or next.

To see other design walls, click here to go to Judy's blog.  Thanks, Judy!

2 comments:

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

I did that same binding trick... for the baby quilt that I made... and took with me to the states. I didn't want to have to take pins too. Chairs are cute! You have a stash of chair fabric?

Trish Frankland said...

You're welcome! I learned it from Rose Mary Huber Pauls.

Looks good - I love goofy-themed quilts (and chairs would have to be the tops of that list)