So my friend Alice was making a special hand-appliqué quilt featuring Wisconsin wildflowers and she needed some "purple and green striped fabric" for her jack-in-the-pulpit block.
"Anything you do will be just fine," she assured me as I went into extreme-dyer's mode and wanted to know how large to make the stripes, what shades of green and purple --olivey green? limey green? grapey purple? "I'm sure I will love anything you do," she calmly told me as she smiled her pixie smile.
I really like her and her work (she has been a most prolific quilter, only recently venturing into the art quilt realm -- about which I am extremely excited!) and I wanted this fabric to be special. "I just need a little bit -- it's for a tiny part of the flower," she said. Well, I can do that. So I got out my stuff and decided that thickened dyes would be just the thing. I had great fun painting them on the fabric using the little squirty thingies (pipettes) that I find so useful for all kinds of art projects. I could hardly wait until the next class to see her and give her the fabric.
And it took a while, but she came to the last class with this. She said she started with a book, but some of the flowers were "incorrect." So she had to change them.
And here is a closeup showing the fabric I created in the center of the flower.
I am linking up with Nina Marie at Off the Wall Friday.