Friday, November 23, 2012

Mul-tex Part 2: the Bag



I started with some acrylic paint and this nifty stencil Prochem sent me with my last order.  The Mul-tex is taped down because it has a nasty habit of curling on itself.

Here is the finished part of the black paint.  I used some extender medium to thin the paint and make it a little less opaque.  I'm painting on the shiny or laminate side of the mul-tex.


I let the black paint dry and then sponged red over it.  I used a primary magenta and quinacridone burnt orange paints thinned with fluid matte medium.  I wanted it to be kind of a wash over the black stencil, so I mixed it pretty thin.



After it dried (this is my kitchen table and DH didn't want any paint on it), I flipped it over and taped it down again -- it's still trying to curl.  I got out the gold and stenciled some cranes on the mulberry fiber side.

After it dried, I cut the mul-tex in half and layered each side with black batting and stitched all over.  I used red thread on one piece and black on the other.



I made it an odd shape because I thought it would look better that way.  I prefer the side that was stitched with the black thread.


And I lined it with a piece of red hand-dye.  I know the zipper is a little strange, but I didn't have a red one handy.

3 comments:

Lynne said...

I love being part of your "play time"

Beth said...

I think... there was an awful lot of work in that piece. I am going to wait and see it in person.... I don't think the pictures are telling the whole story. But I love the whole thing- stencils, colors and thread -just not sold on the Mul-tex.

Sara said...

I'm with Beth...I don't think it was as easy as your photos/text suggests! I like it :)