I have mostly finished the thread work on the tulips and Rosie. I decided that some more traditional quilting in the background would be a nice change from all the intense threadwork on the rest of this quilt.
For quilting and thread-painting, I have been using the same foot I purchased with my sewing machine some ten years ago -- I can't believe it's been that long. It's a clear circle and has worked pretty well up 'til now. But I wanted to do some really tight quilting around these lovely feathers and I just couldn't see through the plastic well enough to do it.
So I finally broke down and got an open darning foot. Fortunately, I didn't just start right in on my Tulips and Rose quilt because it works very differently from my old foot. I made up a sample with the same fabric and wool batting. I used the blue washaway marker and drew some feathers.
It took a bit of practice, but I have gotten the hang of it. It's interesting (to me, anyway) that my freemotion feathers are better than the ones I did stitching along the lines I drew.
I'm linking up with FMQ Friday today.