Saturday, May 29, 2010

Blah Blah Blog



"Robin"
Watercolor crayons and pencils on cotton fabric and threads




"A painting in a museum hears more ridiculous opinions than anything else in the world."
-Edmond de Goncourt  French artist & novelist (1822 - 1896)


When I started this blog, I was not going to post when I didn't have anything of note to post.  I wanted to focus on my art and avoid the temptation to indulge in loquacious inanities.  My motto was going to be:

"There's no point in doing a lot of barking if you don't have much to say."  -Snoopy

Remember when you were a kid and the deejay would blah blah blah over the entire intro of a song -- your favorite song -- and then start blabbing again before the song was over?  I remember thinking, "Why do they think that what they have to say is so much more important than my hearing this song?"

So when I took broadcasting/communications classes during my first few years at college, I refused to be a deejay.  I'm just not that important.  Or maybe I am, but I just don't want to be a blabbering boor.  Of course, you probably have to be a certain age to remember listening to AM radio deejays.  I don't think that my kids ever listened to AM radio.  Or even radio at all.

They started out listening to the (fabulous) music I introduced them to and, as the teen years kicked in, rapidly turned on me.  They now listen to what I can best describe as "kill-your-mother-music."  But I know that my parents felt the same way about the music I listened to and probably their parents felt that way about theirs.

The Creative Cue a couple of weeks ago was "mother" (just in time for mother's day, I noticed).  So for mother's day I got these:


And for my birthday the next week, I bought myself these:

(they were on sale and I am my mother's daughter and can't resist a sale.)  My mother's motto was,

 "If I can't get it wholesale, I don't need it."

Five years ago, I bought four little hibiscus trees (on sale, natch).  I bring those little trees in every fall and enjoy their blooms all winter.  Every spring, I move them back outside and let them hang out on the front porch until the weather is done freezing -- actually, I just need for the plants in the garden to get tall enough that The Neighbors can't see me sitting out there reading and drinking.  Then I "plant" the trees, pots and all, until fall when I have to dig them up and bring them back in.

So a couple of weeks ago I was whining that I hadn't seen a robin.  Well, one of them built a nest in my little hibiscus tree while it was still on the front porch, so now I can't "plant" it out in the garden.  She built that nest and laid an egg and then flew off.  Awfully irresponsible, if you ask me.

Then she came back, and I noticed that if I got too close -- off she flew.  We're up to four eggs and she does sit on that nest as long as I stay away from the front window and off the porch.  Picky, picky.

The eggs will hatch in 14 days and then 14 days later, the robinettes fly away. In my opinion, you get your street cred as a mother after you survive the teen years of your offspring.  Hers are unfairly short.

So I have lots of projects that I have been working on, but none of them is blog-worthy.  Or maybe the correct term is just not quite blog-ready.  But I'll get going and have some real stuff soon.

10 comments:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I don't know Karen....I find this quite blog-worthy!
And yes, I remember quite well the days of AM radio and blithering DJ's! ACK!!! Always making useless, caustic remarks about my favorite songs and bands, and even then I thought, "Those who can, DO. Those who can't ruin the song for everyone else."
And then I met DH, who, for many years was--you guessed it--a DJ.
(sigh)
Life has this way of creeping up on you when you least expect it! LOL!!!

XXOO!!
Anne

Karen S said...

OMG! ROFL -- isn't that just the way it goes? I have almost learned to keep my mouth shut, but sometimes...

Thanks for the encouragement.

Quilt Rat said...

LOVE your watercolour crayon robin!!!!!

Hey Anne......so is my son!!!

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

Sometimes there is only one person that needs to hear what you have to say.... but most often, that person is tuned into another station... I started listening to the AM radio in the Bay Area CA.... KFRC.

I was beginning to wonder what you were up to...

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Taking over your blog Karen....DH then joined the military as the pay of a DJ was not sufficient to, ummmmmm, EAT and have someplace to LIVE!!!
But he still did weekend spots on the local radio when we married... :)
To quote Bowie: "I am the DJ, I am what I play...."

LOL!!!
Anne

Karen S said...

Well, you may as well, because I sure haven't done much lately! LOL!

Robbie said...

Funny post...guess I blog for me and if others want to read they can or don't have to..I have to talk to someone and I'm my best listener! I still remembering sitting on the floor next to my Aunt's huge radio listening to The Lone Ranger! Guess I put my age out there didn't I!

Anonymous said...

love that Robin watercolor piece!

Jan said...

Hey, you posted a lovely piece of art, talked about interesting things and showed nice photos of nature. No wonder I came, read, and commented. I do have one question though:

What is AM radio?


just kidding;-J

Anonymous said...

LOL I laugh through your whole post and its NOT 5am here yet!! REally your writing is amazing and so is you Beautifull Bird!! your water color work is fabulous! and so nicely gos with your fabric border, and your quilting....perfect!!!