Friday, May 14, 2010

A Buncha Blocks

I've been catching up on some blockage.


These are some of my favorite traditional blocks.  I know that they have many different names, but I prefer to call them "shining stars."  I particularly like these because they are well suited to particular piecing á la Paula Nadelstern with all the diamond shapes and the way they fit together.  When made with the right fabric choices, they truly shine.  Although, I think, they look pretty good with any fabric choices.


I have also been working on the blocks for my piecing club (the other posts are here and here).  And yes, I know that the outer triangles on that top block aren't sewn on yet -- I'll get to it.






I haven't made all the the blocks because I just wasn't crazy about them.  This month the two blocks are made with the dreaded "A-word" (appliqué) -- so I'm saving up used dryer sheets for that.  Stay tuned...

6 comments:

Barb said...

Your blocks are wonderful!!

Quilt Rat said...

oooh piecing! I read that first line and thought you were spending the day in the bathroom LOL

Anonymous said...

QR! you crack me up!!

The blocks are great. My question is what is your banner? its so cool I would like to know more about it?

Karen S said...

Lori, the banner is a detail from my quilt "Bamboo Tiger." I'm very excited because I recently received the "fat envelope email" informing me that it had been accepted into the NQA show in Ohio next month! I'll post some pictures of the whole quilt after that show.

Karen S said...

QR cracks me up too!

Chris said...

I especially like the first star pictured. It looks like it is shining bright against the dark of night. Congrats on getting your work into the national quilt show! :)