Wednesday, August 10, 2011

August BOM

Last week I was bad and didn't post about the August BOM meeting.  I got about half way to the shop and realized that I had forgotten to bring my camera.  So I had to use my phone to take a picture.  Then I had to figure out how to get it from my phone to my computer.  It's a pretty crummy picture, but the other one was worse.  I promise to remember to bring my camera from now on!

Not many people made this block.  The main comment seemed to be: "it was hard."  And it was a bit troublesome.

I made a couple of them for the Sylvia's bridal quilt -- they're the little six-inchers.  I didn't think that they were especially difficult.  I think that might be because with smaller pieces, there's less stretch.  Or maybe it's easier to cut smaller pieces accurately.  I used templates for the curved pieces in the center, the corners are cut and put together like a Lemoyne star.
 I did have some fun with it in EQ7.  I couldn't find the block in the libraries -- it must have a different name.  Here it's called "Hands All Around."  It wasn't difficult to create in Patchdraw and I really like the secondary patterns that happen with this block.
 This block creates all kinds of secondary patterns when it's in a straight set.

I really like this on point version.  

2 comments:

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

I must really play with EQ... maybe someday! and the blocks look nice, but you are right the phones camera... is OK...

Jan said...

Nice work Karen. These do look rather fussy but you did a good job with the ones you did and your EQ ones have great color too.