Monday, November 16, 2009

More Stripes

I snuck out to the "dye studio," AKA the NE corner of the garage, this weekend and mixed up four colors of dye -- turquoise, lemon yellow, golden yellow, and boysenberry. I mixed a little of the golden yellow into the boysenberry for a nice blood red, and mixed some of the turquoise into each of the yellows for green.

Then I did the accordion fold thing with two pieces each of soda-soaked fabric and two that were not soda-soaked. I dunked each into a beaker of dye
and let them batch overnight in the family room. It's dipping into the 30s at night now and that's way too cold for the turquoise (and me).

-- the soda-soaked fabrics went into the red and turquoise:



and the greens had soda added after they had been in there for a little while. I probably should have waited longer before adding the activator, but I was in a hurry.

The stripes aren't as pronounced as I would have liked, although this is probably more useful for quilting. Also, I think that pouring the soda on the fabric with the golden yellow made the turquoise move from the top of the roll because it's more yellow than green there.

No comments: