Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Quilting the Feathered Star



I had to get going on this -- it's going to be in a couple of shows as part of a group exhibit soon and it always takes longer than expected to finish anything.

I've been procrastinating -- hoping it would magically quilt itself.  Not because I don't like quilting -- as much as I like complicated piecing, I like quilting better.  Sometimes.  Because this is going to be a "show quilt" and  is a pretty traditional quilt, there are more "rules."  I don't want the quilt show police coming down on the others in the group for letting me in the show.  Let them get mad at someone else.

I outlined the tigers in the center and did a curved bit around all the star "feathers."


I was going to quilt free-form feathers in all that space around the center star.  So I got into EQ7 and played around with stencils and even printed some out -- but they didn't look right with all the spiky pieced feathers and tiger motifs.






I wound up tracing the space on parchment paper and doing a sort of spiky leaf and vine.  I used chalk to draw the spine of the vine on the quilt so I would have a guide.




I did the quilting much more densely than the drawing -- I was going for a MacTavishy-spiky-viney look.  It was very hard to photograph thin (50 wt) black thread on the black fabric.



Those threads are waiting for me to bury them -- I'm not crazy about doing it, but the quilt will look so much better with those ends buried rather than cut.
Then I went back and did a leafy vine thing in the area around the outer star.  Now I have to figure out what to do with the rest.  The post that shows the whole top is here.  I'm open to suggestions!

5 comments:

Artist Within said...

This quilt is amazing!

Barb said...

Wow!!! no suggestions but love what you are doing

Beth said...

So you have been using up some of that extra time!!!

Beth

Quilt Rat said...

A McTavished feather.......what a fabulous idea!
It looks great!

NEEDLEWINGS said...

lovely quilt!