Saturday, May 28, 2011

Fauna for the Faerie Forest

 I needed some birds and bunnies to keep the faerie company.  So I got out my trusty Tsukineko inks and used them to color in some pencil sketches of birds and bunnies.  I had ironed the fabric to some freezer paper to stabilize it while I used the pencil.

With the colors inked in, if I missed a stitch, I didn't have to worry about white fabric showing through.



The first set of cardinals that I drew were too large for this project.







Using a small needle, I covered the little drawings with thread.   Hand embroidery seemed like the best way to go with these.  They're quite tiny.


I cut them out, leaving a small seam allowance -- somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 inch.
 I used appliqué glue to make the seam allowance stick to the back.

Then I stitched them onto my quilt.  I'll have some more photos next time.

7 comments:

Barb said...

You are just so clever!

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

Just too cute!!! I wish I could see it for real!!!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

I loooooooooove the bunnies!!! Fabulous!
xx, shell

Lynn said...

These are darling!

Robbie said...

Aaahhhhhh So sweet!!! This had to keep you busy for awhile!

Lynne said...

Lovely - you are very talented and patient.

Quilt Rat said...

ooooooooo....can hardy wait to see more!!!!