Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Hibiscus 1 is Finished

Over the next few days I will share photos of the finished Hibiscus series.  They will hang together in a show at Olbrich Gardens, "Wild Thing," beginning next week and through April.

Hibiscus 1 is 16" by 21" and features acrylic inks painted on cotton fabric.  I used cotton threads -- 50w and 40w for quilting.  I used cotton batting and cotton on the back.  The binding is a commercial batik -- a very dark green and black leafy kind of thing.

The Japanese beetle was painted with metallic acrylic inks and accented with black 50w thread.


And for Beth: the backside.  I left the hanger in the photo -- it's an aluminum stick -- about an inch wide and less than 1/4 inch thick so it can be screwed into the wall where it's hung.  Using white fabric on the back was a mistake -- you can see all the little thread nasties.   I debated hitting it with a roller full of paint, but I'm not sure that's such a good idea.  Still thinking about it...

5 comments:

Robbie said...

Good for you Karen!! Now to work on your self portrait!!

Lynne said...

Wow!

Beth said...

I think I like the relief quilting on the back!!! Even if all the nastys show up.... The front is nice too! Waiting to see the next one.

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Amazing work, and that Japanese Beetle is a perfect addition, even though I hate those little buggers in my flowerbed!
Simply gorgeous work.
I used to use a print fabric on the back of my quilts that required a lot of quilting, so the stitches wouldn't show, but on the other hand, it's really NICE to see this from the back. The lines and colors, etc.

XXOO~~
Anne

Leslie Tucker Jenison said...

Beautiful, beautiful quilting! It was fun to peek at the back of the quilt!