Thursday, January 10, 2013

Hibiscus 2





This is the second in the series.  I painted the image with thickened dyes on cotton fabric.  There is a more informative (read: loquacious)  post about the dye-painting here.



I used a wool batt and cotton threads for the quilting. 


The beetle was pretty blah -- you can't get sparkle with dyes -- so I used a bit of black Misty-fuse and some foil to give it that shine.






And the backside.  I mentioned in a previous post (here) that I purchased some inexpensive cotton that's a bit heavier than the stuff I use for most of my dyeing and piecing (and other evil experiments...).   I dyed it especially for hiding stuff on backsides.  Pretty slick, huh?   Bwahahahaha....!

3 comments:

Lynne said...

And more wow! Yes, very clever!

In Australia, we use the word "backside" as a polite way of referring to that part of the anatomy on which one sits! Same language? So they say!

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

Again.... I like the back... but much harder to see the quilting on this backing.... I like the beetle better on this one tho.

Nina Marie said...

ohhh love this series! still I am a flower girl at heart! love the idea about the back. Don't forget to link up and share this!