I found this cute turkey made from a leaf block (here). I didn't have her pattern for the leaf, so I made my own. I did use the templates for the turkey -- it's sized for a larger block (eight inches instead of the seven incher that I used.)
I couldn't find the right fabric for the background, so I dyed my own. First, I dyed a yard with diluted blue and brown. Then, I stenciled the leaves with thickened purple and greyish-brown dyes.
I quilted it with stylized leaves.
I used all my own hand-dyes for this except for the centers of the flowers. The ostrich bodies are from a shibori-dye I did a while ago -- it's been marinating on my shelf -- waiting for just the right project!
The flower centers are made from my friend Chris Daly's wonderful hand-dyed silk/rayon velvet. You can get your own here at her etsy shop. I'm using the "flora collection." I think I need to get some of the "brights" now too. These were really easy to work with -- I cut a template of no-melt template plastic and did a running stitch around the seam allowance of the circle. Then I pulled it up tight and basted it with sizing. Hit it with a warm (silk setting) iron and it was ready to go. Easy-peasy! I'm trying to decide where to use this stuff next!
To see other appliqué projects, click here to go to Angie's blog.