In an earlier post I talked about doing something different with these lovelies.
Over at the "...Fire" blog we had a guest artist for June. Kathy Loomis posted a tutorial for slicing and stitching fabric (here) that is a fine way to "do" something with those bits and pieces of hand-dyes, monoprints, and artcloths that just need something.
Kathy recommends using "flimsy" fabric for the little strips to avoid adding excess bulk, but I like the sturdiness of the hand-dyes. I'll have to play around more another time with "flimsy" fabric.
I pulled this monoprint from my stash that I had overdyed with a flour resist (here). I like the colors but it doesn't really stand on its own.
I cut some strips from the Caribbean-colored fabrics and joined them end to end. I ironed the seams open because I figured they would be much easier to insert that way.
This is the start. The orange/blue stripe was a mistake. But I decided to go with it. I kept adding more and more slices and strips until I got this:
This is where I finished. I really like the thinnest strips. I think the chunky strips look clunky. The really thin strips (3/4 inch or less before sewing) look much better. Kathy uses less than 1/4 inch seam for her strips and, while it's scary sewing that tiny a seam, they look much better with the tiny seam allowance. And it's not like it's going anywhere. I'll post another photo after I add more strips. I'm not sure I should continue with the turquoise though...