Friday, July 6, 2012

Stripping Redux



In my previous post, I was whining about my discontent with this piece.

So I took another piece of monoprinted/resist-stenciled fabric from the same batch and set one on top of the other.

I cut them up and laid them out so that I would have two pieces after they were sewn back together.



I like the wavy cuts, but I wasn't real careful when I stitched together the curves, so they're not real flat.  They have some gathers and tucks, but I decided that this was a good thing.

I slashed each finished piece across the diagonal and stitched one to the other.

These are the two "finished"pieces.  I then sewed them together so that I had one big piece.


I still have the stack-o'-turquoise out, but there was this little tiny strip of orange left over from the owl project.





So I sewed it in.  And I liked it.  So I cut some more thin strips. The key here is to use really thin strips.  And about a 1/8 inch seam allowance.


I added a couple more tiny orange strips and....


voila!  I like it.  I'm not sure if I'm finished or if I'm going to add some more strips. Or paint.  Or maybe just layer it and quilt it.  And then add some paint...

5 comments:

wackywoman said...

Looking good!

Leslie McNeil of MarveLes Art Studios said...

Wow Karen, this is very cool! I like it!!

diannajessie said...

I like it too:)

Robbie said...

Think I'd just quilt it first...you can always add some other technique after the fact. I think it turned out quite nice!

Hillbilly Tonya said...

This is so so cool!