I finished the painting part of my interpretation of Statia Dougherty's wonderful hummingbird photo.
I really like these paints from Prochem. They behave like Setacolors (long my faves), but I think the colors might be brighter and more intense. They're cheaper too and since I can no longer obtain Setacolors locally, I have to do mail order. The only thing I don't like is the little jars they come in. I made a bit of a mess pouring them on my palette.
I wanted the hummer to stand out from the rest of the quilt, so I added wool batting and stabilizer (I used DecorBond by Pellon). Then I added thread. I used 50 weight Aurifil.
For Beth: here is the back side of the bird after adding the thread. No, I didn't trim the threads very well.
I left a bit of the stabilizer extending beyond the edge of the bird so that it would get caught in the quilting and make the bird stable.
And here is the finished hummingbird before I layered and quilted the rest.