Friday, September 21, 2012

Playing With New Paints

I recently ordered a starter kit of fabric paints from Prochemical and Dye (here).  Since I finished the quilting on the hibisci, I rewarded myself with a little paint play.

I got permission to use this wonderful photo from my old friend Statia Dougherty.  There is a wonderful yellow glow behind the leaves, so I masked off  the hummingbird and the branches and painted the background with lemon yellow mixed with extender medium.  Then I went over that with some greens mixed with extender.

Here is painting so far with the mask removed.  You can see the photo I'm using for inspiration at the top of this picture.

I had a couple of tiny jars of Prochem paint that were given to me some time ago and I added them to my color wheel along with the jars in the starter kit.  I can see that I'm going to need more extender immediately.

I'm linking up with Nina Marie at Off the Wall Fridays (here).



4 comments:

Terri Stegmiller said...

I've never tried those paints. I look forward to seeing your final results.

Robbie said...

Can't wait to see this finished! You know how much of a bird/butterfly person I am! Cool!

Nina Marie said...

I swear I really need to pull my paints out and play a little like this - its so cool and it would be nice to put a paint base down and just put the thread work on top. It would be a nice change of pace than the way I do it.

Lynne said...

Looking good! I need to do some art playing!