Monday, September 17, 2012

Three (mostly) Done, One to go



I've been  working on my hibiscus series.

This is the one that was painted with acrylic inks.   I used a cotton batt and cotton threads.

This was painted with thickened Procion dyes.  I used a wool batt for this one and cotton threads.
 

This was painted with Setacolor fabric paints and uses a wool batt and cotton threads.  I haven't finished the quilting here -- there will be more on the flower to highlight the petals.



And for Beth (who blogs here and to whom I owe a really long email) -- here is the backside of the acrylic ink piece.

I stupidly used a piece of white fabric -- it also features little white stars-- and so every stitch (and every mistake) shows.  I have had a lot of trouble with the thicker threads breaking.  I switched to a different type of needle late this afternoon and it was better.  Not great, but better.  I'll post about my needle troubles later.

I'll also post a picture of the backsides of the others -- but this will require a separate blog post, 'cause there's a secret back there...

My design wall looks the same as it did last time I linked up with Judy's blog, so I'm sharing these instead.  Click here to see some other people's design walls.  

5 comments:

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

yay! She's back. I'm here.... the back looks cool. I like the thread color transitions.... flower leaves background. Try the embroidery needles... The titanium are great!!!!

Kate said...

Wow, beautiful piece!

Angie in SoCal said...

What a gorgeous series, Karen. Love them. Are you making a quilt out of them?

Robbie said...

This series is turning out wonderful, Karen!!! Very nice!!!!

Anonymous said...

Spot on with this write-up, I really think this website wants far more consideration. I'll probably be again to learn way more, thanks for that info.