Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Can't Sleep? Draw!

Last night I woke up at o'dark hundred and couldn't go back to sleep.

I didn't feel like reading, so I got out this little book I checked out from the library. It has all kinds of suggestions for drawing with colored pencils and shows methods of shading starting from light to dark.

I started a butterfly drawing from it a couple of days ago, but I didn't want to trace it and found that my sketch was way too dark and the colored pencils didn't cover the line. So I abandoned it.

Last night (this morning?!), I drew the outline of the figure lightly using the colored pencil that would eventually be the color I used for the rest of the parrot's body. I liked this much better. There's no dark line around it and I was able to do a pretty good job without tracing.
And then I went back to sleep. This morning I still liked it! Now I have to decide if I'm going to color in the background, or leave it and do another one.

1 comment:

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

Cute little birdie... Wish I could draw... I would probably draw a bird better if I did it with my eyes closed!!