Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sylvia's Blocks and a Tiny Bit of Paint

A couple more of the blocks from the Sylvia's Bridal Sampler Book (the original post is here). The one on the left is paper pieced with freezer paper -- the one on the right was done with templates.

Amethyst


I need some light background fabrics for another project and (of course) I don't have exactly what I want in my stash, so I decided to try a technique suggested by Jill at the Quilt Rat in her post here. Instead of getting out the dyes, I diluted some paint and dipped in dry fabric, squeezed it out, and scrunched it up on these "paint palettes."


I am hoping that when it is dry, the fabric will have some patterning from the paint in it. I really diluted the paint -- literally one drop to about a cup or more of water. These are some white on white fabrics that I bought a while ago, thinking that I would dye them in really bright colors and the white print would show up nicely. I'll save that fun for when the weather warms up a bit.

1 comment:

Quilt Rat said...

ooooooooo.......I can hardly wait to see your results.
For even colouring I use damp fabric but this method you have used should produce very interesting effects. Don't forget to heat set the colour.